Thursday, June 30, 2016

An Introduction

About a year ago, as I was doing research for a final essay in History on the 1972 Summit Series, I ran across this excellent blog series on the subject of my essay.

In this series, "Black Dog" provided an in depth analysis of each game played in the famous '72 Series, and tracked all the shot attempts and scoring chances in each of the eight games. It provided a lot of interesting insight and new perspectives for me on who the real stars of the series were, why Canada was able to win, and why the Soviets came so close to winning, beyond the normal, non-analytical explanations. "Black Dog" began to do the same thing for the 1976 Canada Cup. The first game, an 11-2 blowout of Finland, isn't available to watch, so that game wasn't covered, but he did cover Game #2, a 4-2 win over the Americans. Unfortunately, for a reason unknown to me, the blog was not continued on for the next games against Sweden, Czechoslovakia, the Soviet Union, and then the Czechoslovakians twice more. 

Instead of wallowing in misery, I decided that I would try to finish the job, and hopefully provide others with the same satisfaction that I found. So, without further ado, I present to you my in depth look at the 1976 Canada Cup. Seeing as the game against the Americans is already done, I'll be starting with Game #3, a 4-0 win against a rising superpower in hockey, the Swedish. 

Hope that you enjoy it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment